Monday, August 08, 2005

Swiss Rant

So is there a stage of culture shock called "THIS COUNTRY IS TOTALLY RETARDED"?! I just walked to the store to buy groceries and it was closed. Apparently on Mondays it doesn't open until 1:30pm! And that's after having been closed since 5pm on Saturday! Sheesh, a person could starve. Sunday night all I had left to eat was some dried fruit and nuts, and I already ate the last of those, so what am I supposed to do for lunch today? It's rather ironic because on my way to the store I was composing a blog post in my head about the good aspects of this culture and on the way home I was trying not to describe it with profanities.

Alright, just had to get that out. Seriously, I came home, threw my stuff on the bed and grabbed my computer. I guess this Blog is a sort of therapy for me sometimes. Like somewhere out there people are reading this who understand and sympathize with me. Thank you, dear cyber-therapists. But actually I'm a little bitter that right now my readers back home are probably sleeping, as it's 3am, yet if you so chose you could run to Winco right this moment and get all the food you wanted, while I'm without lunch at noon. Sigh.

Oh well, I should be thankful--the majority of people in the world today will probably only get one meager meal the whole day. Here in Switzerland I make a lot of comparisons with the US, but I better get over that before I go to Africa, eh?

OK, I'm going to go scavenging in the woods now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mm-hmmmm... yahsssss... I see... und how does this remind you of your father? hmmmm... I see...

OK now, time's up! Ink blots tomorrow! Don't forget to pay your $200 at the door...

- johne nomad

Anonymous said...

The ESOP holding members of the WinCo Foods team thank you for this unsolicited advertisement and thanks for shopping WinCo Foods!

We were in Germany once and decided to go back to a cute little deli we saw earlier only to find that they closed every day for lunch.