Monday, August 15, 2005

More on match-making

If you frequent this blog you will remember a post called "Match-making??" Since then I have discussed this matter with many different people and have even witnessed in action the concurrence of missionaries and online dating.

Case sample #1: I met a friend of a friend who is a misssionary in Geneva and was about to ask her what she thought about this topic when she proceeded to bring up how she'd met her boyfriend through a Christian discussion board about the Emerging Church/Postmodern Christianity.

Case sample #2: Actually, right this very moment as I post this, I am with a fellow missionary along with THE GIRL HE MET THROUGH EHARMONY!! Yeah, she stayed the night at my house even. I'll keep you posted on how this crazy adventure turns out.

Yesterday I received an email from a friend (who posted a great comment on this blog concerning this topic--you should go back and read that if this interests you) who happens to go to the same church as the children of the "first Wycliffe couple." When I visited her church a man told me that his parents were the first two people in Wycliffe to hook up. That was back in the 30's I think, right after the organization got going. Apparently, he told my friend the other day that Cameroon Townsend (missionary hero, founder of my organization) had encouraged them to hook up and that Uncle Cam was a relentless matchmaker! That makes me happy that I'm simply following his legacy :O)

The other day I asked a French friend here if he thought it was valid for missionaries to hook up online and he was like, "Well, just because God is going to bring a girl her husband doesn't mean she holes up in her house all day waiting for him to appear on her doorstep."

OK, as you can see, I really haven't been doing anything too interesting lately, so I'm a little stretched for Blog topics. If you think this is stupid just be glad I didn't do a post on flash cards or grammar drills. Although I won't excuse myself too much because unless you live in an internetless vacuum you're probably aware that online matchmaking is a hot topic around the globe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, you went from writing your own proprietary software to plugging for eHarmony... hmmm... what's your commission for this advertising? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I just wanted to say I also personally know some missionaries around here who are doing e-harmony. They'll be quite happy and more hopeful when I tell them about your friends. And that's cool about Cam Townsend being a matchmaker. I'm all for finding a person to share your life with and be a helper to, and I think I've found mine!
Erin

Missy said...

Oh my gosh...seriously? Who knew...I am totally laughing right now!

Missy