Thursday, August 25, 2005

Paris

Bonjour from magnifique Paris!

We're loving Paris!! In a way this surprises me because I'm really not a big city lover. They usually seem dirty and I can't appreciate all the sinful amusements. But Paris is great. Everywhere you look there's something beautiful to see and there's loads of things to do. The history is rich and the culture is vibrant. There's so much to talk about and so many stories to share, but I'll just try to highlight a few things.

I think one of our most significant experiences in Paris was going to see Notre Dame; both times. We went our first night since it's only a 5 minute walk from the hotel, and enjoyed a great free organ recital. Afterwards we walked around the outer chapels as the Vespers service was conducted. As I listened to the concert, gazing up into the vaulted ceiling and admiring the stained glass, I appreciated how big cathedrals like that inspire a sense of awe and make you want to worship God. But after visiting the Sainte Chapelle today, a church which is no longer in use, I realized that part of that feeling I had is based on the fact that there's still life in the ancient Notre Dame. I'm not Catholic, but I could sense the presence of God there. I thought it was really cool that even with thousands of daily visitors, you can still come for Mass or talk to a priest for confession or counsel or light a candle and pray. Today we went back for a free guided tour. Our adorable English guide explained the significance of the statues and ornaments. She told us that when it was first built in the Middle Ages Paris was already a crossroads for people of many nations and it was designed to draw them in and teach them about the Christian faith. It is so amazing to see how that is still carried on today on such a colossal scale.

Today a highlight was going to the Orsay. I thought even before coming here that I would like it better than the Louvre and I was right. I mean, the Louvre is the Louvre. It's enormous and very impressive. But even with 3 hours devoted to the place you've barely scratched the surface and it leaves you a little frustrated. Plus it was hard to focus on what you were seeing because there was just so much of it. But in just an hour or so at the Orsay Museum today we got a great taste of Monet, Van Gogh, Renoir, Manet, Degas, etc. This is really my favorite art genre, and Mom was blown away to be in the presence of such famous works.

Last night we got to see the Eiffel. That's a magical experience. We went at dusk and saw a great view of Paris by night. Every hour the tower's twinkling lights come on and it's quite a show. After descending the tower we laid on the grass of the Champ de Mars and watched it glow. It was perfect.

There's so much to tell, but I'll just conclude with a few of our favorite photos and write more later.

PS: We go to London in the morning!

No comments: