Friday, March 09, 2007

re-entry

I have made it back alive. I feel like I should be wearing a shirt that says "I survived Ouesso" on it. I have a whole journal of fieldnotes, bursting with interesting stories to share, but for now, I'll just say: I was there, it was hard, it was good, now I'm back.

Re-entry is interesting. You know there's something a little odd when Brazzaville feels like the lap of luxery. My apartment seems like a palace! Here are some contrasts between Ouesso and Brazza
Cement floors/Tile floors
Perspiring 24/7/Sitting under a fan
Waiting for someone to make me fish and manioc over a coal fire/Making myself a grilled cheese sandwich at the gas stove
Bathing in a cement closet with a bucket of cold water/Taking a hot shower
Squatting over a hole/Sitting on the toilet
Africans all around/Often with missionaries
Lingala/English
Books/Friends
Walking/Buses and taxis

OK, I'm starting to fall asleep. It will be incredible to sleep in my own bed. My housemate is awesome and I came home to a clean room--fresh sheets, no dust, she even did my laundry and folded my underwear! Yay Sabine! It's good to be home. Oh, and I had Christmas in March. The first of my packages arrived, from my mom and sister. So what if they were supposed to get here in December, it was perfect timing :o)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I have been thinking about you ever since you responded to my last comment I left you! :-p Did you check your e-mails yet? I responded to your e-mail back in January. You should also know that I just randomly decided to check your blog to see if there happened to be any updates from you....and what do you know on March 9th you DID post an entry! It's funny how that all worked out! I'm glad you survived the adventure! You gotta e-mail me some Lingala that you might have picked up while you were there! (And not the usual greetings, "Mbote!" "Sango nini?" type of stuff, okay? Ha, ha, ha, ha! :-D (Just kidding!) :O) Again, it was GREAT to read of your "latest ramblings!" :-p

Aaron Stewart said...

I can totally relate to that feeling, although I have to say I rather enjoy the cold bucket showers. That is of course assuming that the water tank hasn't been left out in the sun and is close to boiling by the time I want to use it. :)

Linguistica said...

Oh yeah, the cold bucket shower was one of the best parts of the day! Although in Ouesso in the morning it can be pretty cool, so as I splashed the cold water on me, I just envisioned myself laying in my bed under my mosquito net with no air circulating sweating all night and it felt great!

johne nomad said...

What were some of the books you read?

Linguistica said...

Books I read in Ouesso:

*The Poisonwood Bible (great fictional story of a horrible missionary and his family who go to Congo)

*Facing the Congo (real story of an American who tries to descend the Congo river by canoe)

*7 Habits of Highly Effective People (Went thru this book with Byron. We decided it's not worth all the hype it gets, but there's some good stuff, especially about proactivity and empathic listening)

*Heal the Sick (Book about healing ministry written by a charismatic Anglican pastor. Inspiring and some especially good stuff about healing of memories)

*The Hour that Changes the World (About having a one hour prayer schedule every day. Some good ideas about listening, meditation, intercession and thanksgiving.

*The Vicar of Wakefield (great British classic)

Hmmm, think that's about it. I also read several National Geographic issues, a magazine which I've only recently come to love. It's great.

johne nomad said...

Not bad. Sometimes I wonder how much more reading I'd get done if I didn't have a TV around... :)

anna murch said...

Everytime I think my life is hard I'm just going to read your blog :o)

Anonymous said...

Nzambe apambola yo