Sunday, March 11, 2007

A little more patience

Hi everybody! I'm off today to a retreat center just outside of Brazza for a weeklong seminar. It's called "Sharpening Your Interpersonal Skills" and is offered by the CMA missionaries here. I'm excited because the group is a mix of Congolese and white people, so should be some interesting dynamics, although I don't feel recovered from my village stint, like I'm still walking around in a fog, so we'll see how it goes. Anyway, the point is I won't have Internet again until Friday.

Here are a few photos to sate your curiosity about my trip until I can post more next weekend. BTW, MY MOM IS COMING TO CONGO!!! She gets here the 21st, and I'm sure we'll have lots of interesting things to post during her 3 week stay.

This is at the house where I stayed. This is Ella making "cakes." She's forming dough balls which will then be fried. It was interesting learning about all the little home industries, ways of making money, which all seemed to be way more work than was worth it for whatever measly profit they took home. But the cake was pretty good. Ella is my age, 25, but she has 4 kids ages 6 months to 8 years. Here are some of the kids that lived in the house with me. The 3 girls Nypsia, Gipsy, and baby Bertille are Ella's and the little boy, Ariel, is their cousin. Three married couples live in the house: Pastor Bom and his wife and two of their children, Ella and Alban, with their spouses and their children. It was about 10 people total, although at one point some other semi-distantly related children were also living in the house and Ella's husband was never actually there because he works in a different town.

11 comments:

johne nomad said...

SYIS? No way! I just went to one of those! Great stuff - you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Welcome back to your very own blogging community :).

Aaron Stewart said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! You're back! Wow! You're tough, Jessica! Good job surviving Ouesso. Your positive attitude is inspiring. Missed you & love you!

johne nomad said...

Wow... you're cool & all, J-Le, but I'm blown away that Ella's making it at all, between working so much for so little money, having her hubby living in another town, & having so many people live in one house with her. I'm sure she has different expectations of what life should be like (than I do), but I'd think that'd still be pretty rough.

Elia said...

Jess! Glad to see you're back safe and blogging again. I've missed your updates! How exciting that your mom is coming to visit. I am still hoping that I'll be able to sometime too! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for sharing some of your photos with us! It gives a little taste of your Ouesso trip! :-) That is SO AWESOME to read of your mom being able to visit you in the Congo! :-] I'm sure you WILL have a lot to share with us during the period in which she will be with you! :-]Just this past Sunday, my pastor said something to me in Lingala. I only picked up one word from the phrase. ("Mingi" meanig: much/many.... which I'm sure you already know the meaning of that word! :-]) Ha, ha, ha, ha! :-D I asked him what he had said to me. He then told me, "Many hellos to you young lady!" I recalled him telling me how he is "losing" his Lingala, so I asked him if he happened to be brushing up on his Lingala lately by any chance....(as you should know, it's been about 17 years since he has last been in the Congo!)There is one thing I know for sure that is SO true about languages: "If you don't use it, you lose it!" He simply just replied, "Nah! I just thought I would throw some Lingala at ya!" :-) I typed you this message before, only to find myself losing it during the process of posting it! :-( I'm glad I remembered what I had attempted to post previously! :-) I was too lazy to do it right after that incident had occured....so here I am trying recall it five days later! How funny! :-) Sorry to give you so much "literature" for you to read!

Linguistica said...

Yeah, John, when you put it that way, it is amazing what Ella (and all the others like her) put up with in life. It is true though that they have different expectations and different habits, so what would be impossibly stressful for us is just a normal part of life for them. But the women of Congo get my highest esteem because they are indeed very hard workers who get little in return.

Linguistica said...

Hey Rebekah! Your pastor probably said something like "Mbote mingi na yo mwana mwasi!" Here's a new phrase for you to use on your pastor: Nzambe apambola yo. "God bless you." If you're speaking to more than one person it's Nzambe apambola bino.

Nzambe apambola bino!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Why, thank you!!!! He, he, he,he! :-] You are a blessing as well as a HUGE help! I love languages! :-p I was so surprised to hear back from you! I sure hope all is still continuing to go well with you!!! Nzambe ampambola bino!

Missy said...

Good to have you back! I"ve missed the blogs!

Aaron Stewart said...

So I think the internet wants more updates from you. :)