Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hi from the lovely A/C of Ouesso's cyber cafe :o)

So, Mom, what have you seen in Ouesso that you never have before?

--A dead monkey in a wheelbarrow going to market
--The Sangha River
--Women carrying cement blocks on their head (and one in their arms as well)
--African children playing a rhythmic game or pushing cars made out of sardine cans
--People younger than I am who look 30 years older

What have you eaten?

--Crocodile soup
--Wild boar
--Lots of fish
--Manioc

What have you heard?

--Singing and drumming at all hours (even the middle of the night)
--An amazing choir rehearsal; 20 voices that sound like 100!
--French and Lingala, with a little Swedish thrown in
--African Christian rap
--Millions of roosters crowing before dawn

It all combines for a wonderful and colorful experience in Congolese culture, with a daughter who has herself become Congolese :o)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much does it cost to be a part of these "cyber cafés"? My 21-year-old sister spent six months in Europe having to use one those things. Is there a time limit, or something to that nature? I forget. Yes, I see I happen to be the only "nerd" replying to this particular "blog entry"! Oh well! I'll live! ☺ P.S. In fact, I don't even think I would call it a "blog entry", per se. More like a.... a.... "Hey everybody! Just thought I'd let you all know" kind of a deal! Ha, ha, ha, ha! :-D That is, by my two cents! ☺

johne nomad said...

I can only imagine how "high tech" that inet cafe must be! I assume A/C means it's open-air?

anna murch said...

Precious Jessica
My, my, my... We are both missionaries, but our lives are so different :o)
I'm so glad you get to have your mom there to share in a taste of what your life is like in the Congo. Priceless.

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!!