Monday, October 10, 2005

Living Up the Swiss Life

My life has been so rich lately that I don't know where to begin. I'll just let the photos and captions tell most of the stories. I'm realizing that I only have a short time left here in Switzerland so I'm determined to live it to the fullest.

I'm starting to get a little sentimental about this place. The other day I teared up over an infomercial! There was this farmer describing how he raises his cows. He was speaking in Swiss German and it was translated into French. He said at the end, "When I see how happy the animals are I'm not sad to have to butcher them because they've had a good life. I'm happy to be able to provide that kind of meat for people." It was just so Swiss. I'll never get to see a Swiss German farmer talking about happy cows on TV in the States.

Speaking of Swiss German farmers, I have a Swiss German housemate right now and she and I watched a TV program last night called "Farmer Seeks Wife." She translated some of the German for me, but it was funny even without the translation! I mean, it was just like a reality dating show we'd have in the States except that we're talking Swiss German farmers who speak such weird dialects that they had to put subtitles. I'm eagerly awaiting next Sunday night's episode to find out if any of the couples work out. It's like "The Bachelor Meets The Waltons." Wholesome, yet modern and entertaining. Quality television.

Yesterday the Alps came out and made me sing. It was really hazy all summer, so I was thrilled to see them again. As I walked along the lake and looked at the mountains and listened to the waves lap along the shore as the last light of day was perfectly sifting through the trees, God romanced me so delightfully that it took my breath away. Really.

2 comments:

Elia said...

I'm so happy that things are going so well over there, Jess. Live it up while you can! Soon it will all just seem like a distant memory. :) You're so cute in all your enthusiasm too! It's contagious.

Anonymous said...

That infomercial reminds me of something from a Douglas Adams book... "meet the meat" :)

"The Bachelor meets The Waltons"?!? (LOL) Definitely sounds like something to get sentimental about...