Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I am writer, hear me roar!

I think, at this point, that I consider myself a writer. It’s funny because it was my envisioned career all the way back in the 5th grade when I started writing stories just for fun about a family of mice. In my early teen years I went to a 3 week writing camp for 3 summers in a row, developing my skills and producing some fairly good work. Then at about 16, as school and age were drying up my creative juices, I did a “career project” on freelance writing. I realized writing was work. I realized I didn’t really want to sit at a desk all day and force myself to produce something other people would want to read, something editors would want to publish. Besides, I had discovered missionary work and was impassioned with a call to go and help others find spiritual nourishment. But I also acknowledged that by going out to fulfill my call I would find something worth writing about. It’s strange how no matter how much I grow and change, in the end I’ll still be the same girl who wrote mouse stories in the 5th grade.

Another aspect of my writer-esque-ness is that I find I HAVE to write. It’s not really optional. I mean, I could choose not to, but then all the ideas and words running around my head would go to waste. I enjoy getting them out on paper. Plus, I’m not gifted in painting or acting or sculpting or dancing, so I’m happy to have this way to creatively express myself.

So I would consider myself a writer. Not in the professional sense of the word but in the vocational sense. It’s a part of who I am and what I do. I think that’s one reason why I so love my Blog. Even if I’m only writing a few paragraphs, “publishing” them myself, and boasting a readership of 10, I’m still writing and being read!

I’m finding fall to be a particularly inspiring season. My life is so rich right now anyway that there’s no lack of things to say. Below you will find a couple of poems that I wrote this afternoon. Something inside simply stirred me to bundle up in my coat and scarf, take my coffee carafe and a pad of paper, head to my favorite bench overlooking a vineyard and the lake, and let my pen say what it would. Hope you like it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
Your readership is much larger than you think, I'm sure. I always tell people about you and your work whenever it seems appropriate, and sometimes if they are interested, I give them the address to your blog. Your poems are beautiful and the one about fall is exceptionally touching since fall is my favorite time of year. Good luck and keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you never know who may be reading! Keep up the good work. :)

Linguistica said...

Thanks for the publicity, Ang! And wow, who knew there was a "missionary blog watch"?!! There's links to my poetry on their site. Yikes! Hey, if anybody out there knows how to put one of those counter things on my site that would be cool. Then I'd know how many people have visited.

Anonymous said...

what?! i think you are VERY gifted at dancing. :)