Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Food Fantasies

Reasons why I may starve in Switzerland:
1) Food is astronomically expensive
2) Portions are very small
3) I don't know how to cook very many things
4) Even if I could afford the expensive food, deal with the portions, and cook like an iron chef, I still would not be able to purchase anything because I cannot read the labels or recognize the packaging!

I am in the land of cheese. This is great! But I found myself staring at a WALL of cheese completely stumped as to which one to choose. Seriously, there had to be like 50 different kinds, very few of which have I ever heard of. And was there a simple block of cheddar among them? No! I ended up with something resembling what we would recognize as "Swiss cheese," a good place to begin I figured. And yes it has served me well--I've eaten a cheese sandwich everyday for the last 4 days straight.

Last night I tried something new to me. It's a type of fondue called "Raclette." I kept forgetting the name and just called it "Ratcliff." But there's a grill that sits on the table for everyone to cook their bacon or onions or whatever, and then each person has a little dish that they can put a piece of cheese on and set underneath the grill to melt. Delicieux!

No comments: