Saturday, April 23, 2005

Eating, hiking, eating

Hello again! Went on a hike today, so have lots of pictures to post. I'm told we could have seen the alps from where we were, but instead we had the beauty of the low-hanging clouds drifting about the tops of the hills. It was raining, but being an Oregonian I felt right at home, as did Nathan from Ireland. It was fun to hang out with Tom from our class and meet his family.

Friday night I had the pleasure of feeding my friends again. Not nachos this time, but another family favorite...roasted garlic! Mmmm...Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and I'm sure we'll be eating that again sometime soon.

One thing that stands out to me about my relationships here is that we all do nice things for each other, without measuring what is owed or calculating our generosity. At school during the break often someone has something to share with everyone, like juice or chocolate. Greta always buys two croissants at the store and gives me one. Nathan often flips a one franc coin to me so I can go buy a coffee out of the machine. Yesterday Marian did some of my laundry for me. I really enjoy being able to have everyone over to eat and bless them in that way.

In my journal I've started writing in Franglish. This is a good sign I suppose...I'm actually thinking in French part of the time. It's the "part" part that makes it weird though. My thoughts are mainly in English, but with French words inserted or with French expressions accentuating the sentiment. C'est la vie!

Bon weekend!

No comments: