Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Cultural Conflict...aka: God's refining fire

Verse of the Week
Jean 3:30 « Il faut que son influence grandisse et que la mienne diminue. »
John 3:30 "He must become greater; I must become less."

I chose this verse last night after a stressful cultural conflict. If you think you've died to self, try living in a cross-cultural situation! I've found offenses and the pain of being misunderstood to be very helpful in demonstrating the need for denial of self and in showing me how much of myself is still left. I'm also beginning to see that this is a large part of the sacrifice of the life I've chosen, probably second only to leaving my family and friends. But in this I have found great value, because what better way to identify with Christ than to be misunderstood? Surely He was greatly misunderstood! Even His closest friends did not really grasp who He was. And He continues to be misunderstood to this very day.

Also, these trials drive me to prayer. I am beginning to see that to be understood by others is not really necessary, that my only home will be (and always was) in the Spirit, in the presence of God. So I am striving to remember that I don't need to try to make others know me, and that when I am misunderstood I should not feel sorry for myself but take the opportunity to feel the sorrows of our Lord. These experiences are not entirely new to me, indeed I've often struggled with finding people who can understand me and I've known the centrality of spending time with God, but being abroad is a sort of intensified way of living and really brings out the best and worst in a person. But what I mean to say is that these things are just as true for the person at home as they are for me. You may not see or feel just how important your relationship with God is. But believe me, it is everything! He is the only One who knows you. He is the only One who can be relied upon.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:25-26

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is so interesting! I've always wanted to live overseas and for the first part of high school thought that my calling was to be a missionary. It's pretty rad to read about your daily cross-cultural happenings!

Thanks for sharing with us.

- Cassie