Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Life as a Rock Star

Tonight was hilarious. In my search for a way to get the word out about the concert I’m singing in next weekend, I stumbled upon the “American Corner” at the UN, which happens to be one block from my house. Apparently every Thursday night about 200 aspiring English speakers gather for a talk given by mildly important people, such as tonight’s jazz singer guest. I was allowed to get up in front of everyone and give an announcement. I thought this was really nice of them since my concert really has nothing to do with the American Embassy, except for the fact that I’m American.

Anywho, I get up there and charm them with my little speech about how I’ll be singing with some Congolese musicians. It won’t be in English but I’ll be singing in French, Lingala, and Laari. The monitor guy (a Congolese) was like “So you speak Lingala?” He had some little kid come up and told him to ask me a question. Thankfully (!!!) I understood it and answered correctly. Phew!

But then he was like “And you speak Laari too?” “No, I only sing it.” “Oh! OK, sing us something.” Yikes! I don’t know how I did it, but I managed to sing an entire refrain acappella in a language I don’t speak in front of 200 people! And it actually sounded good! This was a lot of fun and they totally freaked out about it. I’m super encouraged ‘cause I’ve been super afraid of what my solos will sound like the night of the concert because my voice gets really weak when I’m nervous. But if I can pull that gig off tonight, the concert should be no problem :o)

3 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

You go rockstar.

johne nomad said...

Four languages in one evening?! J-Le, you ARE a rock star. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I agree...you rock, Jess!! :) That's so cool and good luck with the concert! You should have someone take a video of you on your digital camera and post it. ;)