Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm in Africa!

OK, so I know all my faithful readers have been waiting with baited breath for this moment to arrive, so it is with pleasure that I announce that I'm in the Congo and I'm still going to be blogging! I've been here for about 4 days now and I really like it. It's hot and very humid, so when you try to picture me here, just douse me in water and friz up my hair and that will be a pretty accurate image. OK, it's not that bad, but this isn't the January I'm used to!

Overall, I'd say this place is pretty much what I was expecting. Whenever I travel that seems to be the case: I'll have an idea in my head but figure that it's probably inaccurate, but then it turns out to be basically what I'd imagined it to be. If any of you have been to Central America, it reminds me a lot of that--tropical, hot, poor yet modernizing.

My most African experience yet was going to a big market. Unfortunately I can't really take pictures there, but it was interesting and fun. Next time I go I'll make some notes and try to describe it for you. I'm just getting used to being here and doing some orientation--finding out where to buy things, learning how to prepare food safely, trying to keep myself hydrated--so I haven't really begun to experience the culture. But you can count on me to keep you posted if I eat any lizard brains or have any other such adventures.

6 comments:

Elia said...

I'm so glad you're there having fun and safe!! Way to go Jess!!

Anonymous said...

why can't you take pictures at the market, ca?

Linguistica said...

Well, I don't really know, but another missionary told me it would cause a big stir. I guess it's hard to take pictures in public places. Maybe if I develop a relationship with some of the vendors I can eventually take a picture of their stand. I need to get to know this place better before I'll really understand what's appropriate and what's not. For now I just have to take other people's advice and err on the safe side.

Anonymous said...

OK, random question... "ca" (good sisah's nickname for you?) stands for...?

Linguistica said...

Well, when my nephew Hiller was first beginning to speak he had a funny way of shortening words to their last syllable. And the last syllable of my name is...?

Anonymous said...

"bold"? :)

That's a great nickname!