Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Why I'm proud to be American today

So I'm down right grumpy about election today, but as I read about it from my perspective here in Congo I still have cause to be happy for my country. Praise God for a country whose transitions of power are without violence! Praise God for a president who telephones to congratulate the new guy, promising to make it a smooth transition and telling him to go have a good time. And praise God for an opposing candidate who sees he's been defeated and graciously promises to do all he can to help his opponent succeed in his task. I'm thankful that we don't use force to determine the outcome of our elections. It's truly amazing.

I'm also proud of America because we have shown today that truly great strides have been made in our society. What joy for little old black ladies who lived through the civil rights movement to go and vote for the very first black president. So cool. And I'm happy that an entire continent can share in this victory as well, feeling that a great thing has been done for their whole race. People lean out their car windows and shout "Obama!" as I walk down the street :o)

So there is cause to celebrate America today! I did it by taking advantage of our tax dollars and eating a complimentary breakfast at the American cultural center. I even got a little Republican notepad :o) Consolation prize I guess! I also met the new ambassador who greeted me as "Linguistica" :o) Just never know who is reading this thing!

2 comments:

Daniel and Natalie said...

Hey Jessica! I just saw that your blog is included in your newsletter. I checked it out and its very cool. I loved reading about our elections and how people are viewing things there. I agree that much prayer will be needed in the future!!! Hope you are well and maybe we'll see you here in Newport, WA sometime!

Javejavor said...

Hi, Jessica
I guess you must have voted for the Republican side. Sorry for you!
Very nice and gracious post though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the whole "being an American in Africa"- situation. May God bless the USA as much as the other countries on the face of this earth.