Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Meet the new love of my life


I'm back in Congo but sadly I don't have a cat anymore. My cat from last year, Frecky, was only on loan and her family is back in the country to take care of her now.

Yesterday I went to the Mauritanian mini mart across the street and saw that they had a pretty decent looking orange cat. Cats around here tend to look pretty mangy, so when you see a nice one it's of note. I told the young clerk that he should tell me if ever his cat has kittens. "She has kittens!" he exclaimed. "Where? At home?" "No, here." "Really?! Where?!" "Behind the notebooks." Sure enough, on a shelf behind the notebooks the kittens were snuggled away.

I went to see them again today and informed the clerk that when they are 6 weeks old I will take a boy cat. I think they're about one week at this point. I'll be lucky if they hold on to them until 6 weeks; I'm sure by 4 they'll be wanting to get rid of them, but that's not really old enough in my opinion.

Anyways, this is Monkey Business, hopefully my future cat. Depends on if he's really a boy or if he turns out to be a girl--kinda hard to tell when they're so small and furry :o) We hope he will be friendly and affectionate. He's already got the cute factor going for him.
This is my new roommate Theresa from Germany with our cat, Monkey Business.

9 comments:

johne nomad said...

Cuteness in a fur coat. And I love the name.

Elia said...

Woo hoo! A cute new little cat. I'm so jealous. What'll you call him for short? MB? :)

Grace H. said...

Not that I'm an expert in cats, but that kitten looks a lot older than a week. His eyeballs are open. Did you ask the owner how old they are? My cat was about 4 or 5 weeks old when I got him and he did fine although he STILL likes to knead and suck on fuzzy blankets. Very annoying if you're not a cat person. He also sleeps with his tongue out (??). So I guess there ARE some bizzare side affects of yanking a cat too young but none that are life threatening. And honestly, cats are a little wierd anyway. You need to find a puppy!!!

Linguistica said...

Yeah, I don't think he could be much older than a week, maybe 10 days. I think we'll just call him Monkey for short. Explaining "Monkey Business" in French should be fun :o) C'est l'entreprise des singes!

I'd sure love to have a dog, but I can't give the devotion right now that a dog would need. I travel a lot and that would be a burden for my colleagues and sad for the dog. Cats have the advantage of not really caring about you so long as there is someone to take care of them :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited for you that you get an adorable little bundle of fur! hahaha! I love kittens! How fun! i hope he/she ends up being really affectionate and with a good personality!
Your new flat mate looks like a very nice person!

I miss you & love you Jess!

Nathan FC said...

Why do women love cats, what will we men have to do in order to demonstrate that cats AREN'T RIGHT. Are cat's even in the Bible?

Nathan FC said...

Hey your friends are pretty literate, no spelling mistooks.

Those photographs remind me of a Chinese restaurant story I heard earlier today. How does it go...

Bye!!

Anonymous said...

Ed and Evelyn said they would like to welcome Monkey Business to the Lebold family!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Evelyn said she thought the orandge kitties looked nice too. Do Congolese kitties sound different? Do they "meow"?