Sunday, June 03, 2007

What Congo Has Taught Me #3

People are not interruptions. If you’re working away and someone comes along to talk to you, how to you respond? For an African, this person is more important than the work they were doing. Moreover, the fact that this person crossed your path means that they are God’s will for you in that moment!

I am learning that my relationships with people are actually my most important work here. Even more importantly, I’m realizing that my interactions with people are almost the only thing that counts in God’s eyes. Without those same people who “interrupt” me, it’s impossible to practice love, which is the most important commandment and the only way of making God real amongst us.

In the West we isolate ourselves. We build castles and put hedges around those castles and we close ourselves up inside. If we want to see someone, we let down the drawbridge and extend an invitation. This is known as hospitality.

In Congo you don’t close your door. Anyone could walk through at any moment. A surprise visitor will be offered whatever is available; if you have enough for one, you have enough for two. There’s always time or food or a bed. This is African hospitality.

I have a long way to go before I will value people the way they should be valued.

1 comment:

Bear said...

You don't know me, and I don't know you (i linked here from Aaron's blog), but wow! this post really struck home. I don't know how many times I have been rushing from one thing to the next and a roommate or my wife want to sit and talk and I say "But I got to finish this. We'll talk later." Thank you for giving me a bit of a slap in the face for missing what God may bring through the door.