Friday, June 01, 2007

What Congo Has Taught Me #2

There’s no need to be self-conscious about expressing yourself. I love the way Africans seem able to just sing and dance at just about any old time, whether or not anyone else is participating. You can walk down the street singing at the top of your voice. If you’re talking to someone and a song comes to mind, just sing it out! If you are happy, why not do a little dance?

I think I’m making some progress in this area, mostly because I’ve been persistent in pushing past my comfort zone and have continued to get involved in music here. It’s no longer very difficult to sing for people who want to just hear what my voice sounds like, or to try out a solo part in front of a group of outstanding vocalists. But I’ve still got a long way to go before I’ll be the kind of performer they are! They do everything with their whole heart, no self-consciousness at all.

1 comment:

johne nomad said...

Self-conscious behavior is learned - formed by the acceptance (or lack thereof) by the surrounding community & dependant upon how secure the person is with whom they are in the 1st place. I'm SO glad you're in such an accepting place & inner place of being comfortable with whom you are, J-Le!