Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New Year's Eve

This year I rang in the New Year right…at an all night Christian concert! I didn’t come home ‘til 5am, thus endearing myself forever to my Congolese friends who think I’m really cool now :o) I was super impressed with the event. It was TWO whole nights, the 30th and the 31st, of music. Every 25 minutes from 8pm to 5am a different group got on the stage to perform. Most of the songs were originally composed by members of the group. There were probably like 2,000 people there. What do you think, could we pull that off in a city in the US? Two whole nights of original Christian music performed by dozens of groups? Pretty impressive.


I was proud to be a groupie of my musician friends who each performed with like 4 different groups. They were obviously very popular. Their main group was composed of about 8 guys who I know plus a few musicians. You should have seen the girls go crazy. It was a little embarrassing :o) During their last song all these women flooded the stage and started dancing with them. The security people were trying to pull them off, but they all just danced off the stage at the end in a Congo line (no pun intended). So now I know I’m in with the popular crowd :o)

I didn’t realize I was an official groupie until they came and fetched me afterwards to go eat. Apparently behind the stage there was all this food for the musicians after their performances. I don’t why I had the right to go back there, but everyone was freaking out at the white girl eating manioc and salt fish. Wish I had more and better photos to show you. It was a really fun night.

1 comment:

johne nomad said...

Well, J-Le, we all knew you were a wild partier... but 2 nights in a row? I'm impressed.

Will you give us all a sneak preview of your coming journey before you disappear into the bush again?