Thursday, January 11, 2007

Adventures in Congolese Cuisine

A couple of weekends ago my friend Louz invited me to come to a banquet for his choir from church. The catch? I was signed up to help make the food! It was a cool opportunity for a cultural experience. Here I am cleaning salt fish, basically scraping the crusty salt off before the fish gets fried. The ladies were super excited to teach me and see me doing things their way. I also cut manioc and pineapple. My pineapple cutting has been completely revolutionized! It's so easy the way they do it. I'll have to host an exotic fruit cutting class when I come home :o) Today I made mango jam, but I don't think I'd recommend it to any of you at home since it would cost a fortune for the fruit! Here's some more pics from the choir's banquet. Wish I knew how to post video 'cause I've got a good one of them all singing and dancing. Louz is the one in the purple shirt. He's like my little Congolese brother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun, Jessica!!! That sounds like such a neat opportunity/experience! Good job! Sign me up for that exotic fruit cutting class! hahaha
I can't wait until you come home, Jess! Keep in touch until then!
Love you,
Mindy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.