Thursday, October 19, 2006

Woe, Despair, and Mourning

Oregon SIL has been CANCELLED for the coming summer!!! That was the reason I was using to come home for a few months! Alas, alack, woe is me! Well, in any case, I'm still going to need to make a trip home. I'm already committed to being a bridesmaid in Amber my friend since first grade's wedding! But no more dreams of living in Portland for the summer, and I don't know how long I'll be able to come home for. It might still be July through mid-October, but it might be for only a month.

I just trust that the Lord knew this was coming and will help me know what to do. My teammates and I had these big plans for me meeting my future hubby at ORSIL :o) Thankfully, God is sovereign over our schemes!!

2 comments:

johne nomad said...

What?!? Why was it totally cancelled? They won't even try a different location? Couldn't find one?

Reg. your "schemes", I've heard ORSIL's been slim pickings lately (few single dudes).

Linguistica said...

It was cancelled because they had gone through the process the last few months of getting a new host campus and in the end they found it was going to like double the costs from before. At this point it's too late to find a place for this coming summer, but they're going to try to find a new permanent location where the school can begin again in summer '08.

As for the slim pickings, I know at least one couple is married now who met last summer. ORSIL produces about 1 marriage per year, which I think is a pretty good rate considering there are only like 60 students. Besides, where in a Christian missions setting do the girls NOT outnumber the boys like 5 to 1? This proves we really are the superior sex :o) But numbers don't really matter anyway, it's God's timing. You're around plenty of single women all the time, but have you met the one that's right for you? It's not really about the numbers then is it? And I guess it's not about location either then. Even in the Congo I guess I could meet someone, although it would definitely take a sovereign act of God!