Sunday, September 24, 2006

Pious missionary talk

So long as we're on the topic of soul mates and such, I thought I'd give you a little window into my world:

The other night I was walking down to the icecream shop with my friend Elizabeth, her parents who are here visiting, and the Humber family—Paul, Kristin, and their 3 little girls. Elizabeth’s parents were walking hand and hand and Kristin was holding one of her girls’ hands, so Elizabeth and I wanted to get in on the action. We held the other girls’ hands and I remarked “Well, we’ll take what we can get.” Kristin said, “Beggars can’t be choosers, right?” I said, “Single white women in the Congo can’t be choosers!” “Are you saying you are beggars?” “I’m saying you married folks don’t understand our reality,” I said teasingly.

I went on: “I’m starting to worry about myself. I see so few good looking white guys that when I do see one I have to wipe the drool off my chin. What’s gonna happen when I go back home?” Elizabeth chimed in, “Oh I know! On Tuesday I saw this really hot French guy while I was shopping at Score.” Kristin cut in, “Wait a minute, you saw this guy on Tuesday? This is so funny! You’re talking about it like it was the highlight of your week!” Elizabeth retorted, “Highlight of my week?! That was like the highlight of the last 3 months!”

And so goes the pious talk of missionary women. They’ll probably leave those kinds of details out when they write biographies of our heroic lives. I’m telling you now, so you’ll know the real story :o)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Jessica, I thought I was the only one. Tonight at the grocery store I saw this athletic-looking tall guy with a buzz, buying white bread (must be an American), and I couldn't believe that I was actually in the same room (along with hundreds of Thai faces) with a good-looking man who looked rather single, so after I checked out, I sort of walked really slow and waited a second to get one last glance at a guy who could have possibly been 'the one' before he hopped on his motorcycle and zoomed away.

I wasn't planning on telling anyone this story, but I just had to agree with you and Elizabeth. And now the whole blogging community thinks I'm a crazy stalker. But no! Just wondering if that was my soulmate walking (driving) out of my life. What if? Oh, I'm glad I can trust God rather than relying on random fate. That's what gives me hope.

And thanks to Asian culture, I get my quota of physical touch -- my Thai girl friends and I walk arm in arm and hold hands like there's no tomorrow!

Cortney

johne nomad said...

J-Le, You should never consider yourself a beggar. Altho I'm sure Congo gives that feeling sometimes.

Neither should you, Cort! Come on, you live in CHIANG MAI! I have a hard time believing there was only one white guy in the grocery line. :) Besides, you're in the same room with a good looking single guy so often here!

(What's that gagging sound I hear?)

Linguistica said...

OK, Cortney is defitely a Soul-Sistah (aka: girl soul mate)! I love that you shared that story! I'm picturing you running out of the store, watching the guy ride away on his bike while you mouth the words "He could have been the one..." Your confessions are safe with me. But I don't know about all the other cyber psychos that read my blog.

Here's a shout-out to my other soul-sistahs I've encountered along the road! Anna Schnana, this is for you bb :o)

Anonymous said...

And bb, it is so true. I have definintely had converstaions like that before!!! Actually... I just had one with my roommate last night :)
~Schnana

Anonymous said...

Sorry, johne. Was I really gagging THAT loud?

Anonymous said...

We're reading. (meniacal laughter)

Anonymous said...

You are so cute, Jess! You make me laugh! I miss ya! I wish it were me walking with you down that road!

Anonymous said...

So, I can assure ya'll that stalking really does work (never fear Cortney). That's how I got my man. Stalking at Trader Joe's. Honest truth. Oh-and Jess, we got Raclette back!