Thursday, May 05, 2005

Day of the Ascension

Today is a holiday in Switzerland, so I don't have school today or tomorrow! All of Switzerland closes down to celebrate the Ascension of Christ. I have never heard of this holiday before, so I spent some time today thinking about why one should celebrate it, and now I feel it is very important! Jesus' Ascension is one of the most thrilling stories and remains a key event in the lives of Christians today. Below are some reasons I found for why we should celebrate the Ascension:

1) Because Jesus conquered death. We celebrate this fact at Easter, but it's really the Ascension that clinches the deal. Other people have been raised from the dead, but they all eventually die and stay dead. Jesus rose never to die again. "Because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay." (Psalm 16:10).

2) Because after Jesus ascended He sent the Holy Spirit. "But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." (John 16:7).

3) Because now we can act and pray in Jesus' Name. "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father." (John 14:12-13).

4) Because Jesus is with the Father. "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28).

5) Because Jesus is exalted above all. "...That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come." (Eph 19-21).

6) Because Jesus is preparing a place for us. "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2).

7) Because Jesus is coming back for us in the same way He went away. "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:3). "They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 'Men of Galilee,' they said, 'why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.' " (Acts 1:10-11).

8) Because we are left here to do Jesus' work through His strength. "After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God. Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere, and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it." (Mark 16:19-20). "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.' " (Matthew 28:18-20).

9) Because it is cause for rejoicing and worship. "While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God." (Luke 24:51-53).

The country you are in may not be celebrating the Ascension today, but you can certainly take a moment to do so!

No comments: