Friday, February 19, 2010

Warning: Reading this blog may cause digestive upset


So I've had a new adventure recently. Ever heard of mango worms? My personal collection is pictured above. They hatch when flies lay eggs on your clothes as they are hanging on the line to dry. The catch is WHERE do they hatch? Under you skin! Little bumps form that itch like crazy. Every once in a while you suddenly get zapped with a stinging sensation...that's the worms moving inside you! When the bumps get bigger and harder and you can't stand it another second, you put some oil on to suffocate the guy and then squeeze them and voila, out pops a wiggly worm! The first time I witnessed this was my first year in Congo when I was staying up north in Ouesso. My colleague thought he had a boil but treated it to no avail until one day a Congolese came by and was like, "Hey! Just squeeze it!" and out popped a very ripe worm wiggling and writhing. I thought, "That's it. There's just no where to go from here."

This past week I survived a nasty batch of mango worms myself. Mine even had the special effect of getting infected and causing a fever which kept me home for an entire day. I'm back in good health now with just a few battle scars.

8 comments:

Javejavor said...

miam.... tu m'ouvres l'appétit..... welcome to the less amusing side of practical life in africa. never had them, i'm sooo glad.....

angi said...

Aww, I'm so sorry. Sometimes in Isiro it seemed so silly to have all the clothes ironed, but that's a good reminder why we do it!

Anonymous said...

Time to come home. C&N

bo betsy said...

oh ca... ew. your poor back! and there are more in there? do you have to wait until they get bigger (and you can't wait another second) to get them out? i sure hope ev and phil have seen this one... i may have to call them, just to be sure!
hoo hoo!

Anonymous said...

So...While they've taken up their abode under your skin, they're getting bigger, right? Hmmm. Can we assume that those stinging sensations are actually caused by carnivorous creatures eating your flesh? Wow. I surely do admire the sheer grit and determination that keeps you serving the Lord and loving Congo!....Mom

Unknown said...

ew..those worms, I've seen them on people skin here in Nicaragua, but I am not sure if they are the same mango worms, but I know is painful.

Daniel and Natalie said...

You are so brave! I'm glad you have survived this particular adventure! looks very painful. Was eating breakfast when I saw this. had a hard time finishing my Cheerios. ;)

Mindy said...

Oh! Poor Jessica! That's really horrendous! You're definetely CALLED to be a missionary, cuz if you weren't I think you'd have come screaming home a long time ago! :) ahhahaha.