Monday, August 31, 2009

Congolese handwriting


I never cease to be amazed at the handwriting here in Congo. Penmanship is still very important in school here. When I was a student all that really mattered was that it was legible. I think it might be a French influence here, but it's also the fact that many things are still written out by hand (i.e. official records) rather than being entered into a computer. I'm even more impressed when people write on a chalkboard and it looks like calligraphy! Have you tried writing on a chalkboard lately? Not easy! I don't really have that great of example photos here. Some people's handwriting seriously could be turned into a font it's so precise!

3 comments:

Javejavor said...

impressive indeed.

bo betsy said...

is this espe's writing? it's beautiful... do they spend a lot of time on their handwriting - or do they write that beautifully fast?

Linguistica said...

No this is not E's writing but it's from a journal where other people wrote notes to him. I'm not quite sure on the speed question. It probably varies like it does anywhere--some write quickly and some slowly.