Saturday, September 01, 2007

My Congolese Self in America: #2 Church

OK, it must be time to talk about Congo some more. Unfortunately my biggest disappointment in coming back to the States has been church. I just haven’t found the fellowship and worship I was looking forward to. The first Wednesday I was home I went to the evening service at my home church and didn’t know anyone! I went back to the youth group and didn’t know anyone there either! So I ended up leaving early simply because I didn’t have anyone to sit next to. So where does Congo enter in? Well, I’ve been shocked at how many services and different churches I can go to without ever being introduced! (Although there have been exceptions!) I was so used to Congo where when a person comes back from a trip or when a minister visits from out of town, they get a minute to give a report or they are at least greeted from the pulpit. It’s a really big deal for Congolese and I’m used to getting acknowledged quite a bit in church over there. On the other hand, there’s something nice about being able to go to church here and NOT be noticed! :o)

It’s also odd going to church here because it doesn’t feel natural to me anymore. I’ve been to a lot of different churches this summer, but everywhere I see all the cultural traditions we have, rather than just joining in like I used to. I feel like more of an observer than a participant in our huge concert-like services. I notice how nice our buildings are and what elaborate sound systems we have. This is disappointing because I was looking forward to being back home where I wouldn’t have to be distracted by cultural issues in church!

I hesitate to write this entry because I really love a lot of churches here and believe they are doing just what God has called them to. I don’t want to sound like I’m bashing the American church. I’m not, I’m just saying how I see it through my Congolese eyes. I think this is a pretty common experience for missionaries who come home.

I guess if I were really Congolese I’d have a few other things to say—like “People! Get up and move when you sing!” :o) The Congolese would love to hear our beautiful worship songs, but ultimately I think they’d prefer their own music. If I were Congolese I think I’d be very jealous of all the wealth that the church here enjoys and I’d probably ask if they could spare something for the church in Africa! All of the churches I’ve visited are VERY giving, yet I don’t think a Congolese would see that when it’s obvious that those churches still enjoy a great amount of money for themselves. Our wealth and living standards are just so foreign to them.

So I’m left with knowing that even if no single service or church building is going to completely make me feel at home, I’m on the road to my heavenly home and I can get a taste of it no matter where I am when I’m in Jesus’ presence and with His people.

4 comments:

mennoniteinthecity said...

Hi! I just saw on the announcements that you're visiting Fox on Monday!? I hope to (actually) meet you! Hopefully someday, even when you probably won't always be used to Americna services anymore, you'll be able to bring some beneficial Congolese culture habits to your friends and family, or even churches. :) I'm in Canada, and even that makes a big difference from Portland- not quite as much as the congo definitely, but still different. Cara. complete-joy.blogspot.com

johne nomad said...

I really enjoyed this entry. When I got back, I was thankful when I could just blend into the crowd for a change, but it did feel really different.

I remember my biggest reverse culture shock about church was the performance feel of everything & that I felt chained to the pew when I just wanted to get up & raise my hands.

Another biggie for me was how much was about inside the 4 walls, & how little about outside them. When the tsunami wasn't even mentioned, let alone prayed for, the Sunday after it happened... I was a bit shocked & distressed. I'm really glad that's (inside/outside ratio) been changing over the past few years.

Linguistica said...

Thanks for sharing that, John. I never want to write about the negative stuff, but I think it's worth it when others can identify because experienced similar things.

I visited a really cool church this morning full of young people passionately seeking God, so that was cool.

mennoniteinthecity said...

hi again. It was great meeting you. keep up the work God has called you to! I'll be praying for you.