Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mom's last day in Congo

Well, I saw mommy to the airport last night. I’m assuming she’s well on her way home. It was nice to part knowing that it would only be 2 months before I see her at home again. It’s been strange being alone now though. I was used to having her with me almost 24/7 for 3 weeks! But I am already enjoying some solitary time to pray…I miss Jesus when I’m with other people too much!

Mom’s last day turned out great. In the morning we got her bags all checked in with Air France. It was seriously the most efficient thing I’ve ever seen happen at Maya Maya Airport! We came back and I stressed over finishing my taxes (anyone else think the American gov’t is crazy for expecting its citizens to accomplish such a feat?!!). Then we had a great lunch with my colleagues, the Winters family.

Afterwards I got a call from my friend Byas saying his wife had a baby girl and we could come see them at the hospital! We went, taking along a typical gift of bottles of filtered water, and marveled at the simplicity, cramped conditions, and lack of sanitation at the hospital (actually, I didn’t think it was too bad, but I haven’t seen an American hospital for a couple of years). Byas’ wife was looking good but we found out she’d had the baby just that morning! They don’t waste any time getting visitors over there! The baby was precious and sleeping and looking healthy. Praise the Lord!

We came home and my friend William showed up with his cousin who is visiting from Nkayi (where I happen to be flying to tomorrow). We had a good visit and it was nice ‘cause my mom had thought she wouldn’t get to see my friends again. My Cameroonian friend Marcelle who is a missionary with Intervarsity came over too and brought a very generous gift for my mom! It was a dress and a set of jewelry. So precious. This girl has very little money. People here are just so generous and non-materialistic. I hope they are rubbing off on me!

In the evening Louz came just in time to join us for dinner. He brought my mom an outfit made at the tailor! It’s made from a pagne material that has lamps on it and says “Christ is light” in Lingala. Just before we finished dinner and needed to head to the airport, another visitor came! His name is Dupaul and we’d met him on the street a few days ago. He had started explaining a mural to us in English and then mentioned that he has made a Christian CD. It was awesome because just a few hours earlier my mom literally said “I wish I could buy a Christian CD from here.” So he remembered and managed to come by the house with his CD just in time for my mom to take it back with her. Very cool.

So my mom’s trip ended very well and I think she is going home with warm memories of Congo (no pun intended) :o) Sorry no photos to show yet—my camera’s busted and my mom’s isn’t digital. She’ll send me a CD in a few weeks though.

2 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

I don't think I could ever get my parents to come over to Africa. Your mom rules.

Anonymous said...

A comment to Aaron from Jessica's mom: Frankly, Aaron, I had about as much desire to see Africa as I did Nicaragua. But God seems to laugh when I give Him my list of perfectly sensible reasons for NOT going! And then He introduces me to the most incredible people on the planet, people who have taught me more about God and His faithfulness than I learned from decades of pew-sitting here in the States. So if you suggest to your parents that they come for a visit and they tell you you're crazy, have them give me a call. My new motto is: If it sounds crazy, it's probably God. Bev