Saturday, May 06, 2006

More than one way to boil water...Who knew!?!

OK, so when you live in a multi-cultural community, the things you used to think were normal/standard/obvious now become foreign/relative/optional. Take boiling water, for example. Now if you were to boil water, say to make a hot drink, how would you do it? APPARENTLY everybody in England, Ireland, and Australia owns what is called a "kettle." Now what comes to mind when I say that word? If you're an American, you need to hearken back to your college days and remember those electric gadgets for boiling water in your dorm room. That's right, folks, proper British tea is boiled in a hot pot. I for one, am quite disillusioned.

I boil water in a "tea kettle." A pot that goes on the stove. Somehow this just seems right. To the rest of the world this just seems stupid. I mean, this is 2006 afterall. Sigh. What do you think? How do you boil your tea water?

3 comments:

angi said...

I personally don't like the electric gadgets things. If you look inside, they have all that calcium build up, which is really gross. Tea kettle on the stove is definately the way to go.

Anonymous said...

there's nothing better than putting the kettle on for a nice cuppa. it's tea in an instant! very handy, i tell you... i'm a fan. but i agree about the build up in the bottom... it's kind of gross, but cleanable. i mean if you think about it, you'll get the same build up in your coffee maker, but you just don't see it.

Missy said...

I agree...tea is much better if it is made on the stove! My roommates always dig around to get out the electric hot pot and I would rather use my cute tea kettle.