Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Transported by a Tune

It’s amazing the emotions a song can evoke. I was sitting in this great café, The Exotic Palace, here in Brazzaville this morning, enjoying the air-conditioning, eyeing the case of baked delicacies, and marveling at the size of the pot of coffee placed before me, when the sound of James Blunt’s “You’re Beautiful” started playing. It struck my spirit with tender force, practically bringing me to tears.

My introduction to this song was driving along the highway at night with my sister and her son after just getting back from 8 months in Switzerland. The song came on and my sister instinctively turned up the volume. My heart was pierced as my 4-year-old nephew’s sweet voice from the back seat chimed in on the chorus “You’re beautiful. You’re beautiful. You’re beautiful. It’s true.” He knows most of the other words too, but I haven’t heard it that many times to be able to remember them. James Blunt is one of those amazing singers, though, who makes a song carry strong feelings of sentimentality even if it’s the first time you’ve heard it. So between this innate nostalgia and the memory this brought to mind, I was very touched today in that great café here in Brazzaville, Congo of all places.

2 comments:

Elia said...

I'm going to see James Blunt in concert this Saturday in downtown Chicago! :) Yeah! You should listen to his other songs too...they were with me on my flight back from Budapest and still make me teary when I hear "Tears and Rain".

Anonymous said...

awww, ca - what a fun memory! i wish it wasn't 12:46 am -- i have to wait till the morning to read this to hiller!
there must be an angel with a smile on her face... when she thought up that i should have a sister like you! (my own modification) you are beautiful, sweet ca!