Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Some pregnancy pics and advice


Here I am at 39 1/2 weeks.

We've been steadily getting ready for a home birth and setting up all the stuff for baby. I can heartily endorse the store Once Upon a Child and other "gently used" children's clothing and accessory stores. Babies don't wear out their clothes before they out grow them, so you can get lots of stuff in great condition for a fraction of the price you buy it new. If the items are on clearance you can get nice stuff for $1 or less. I also recommend registering at Target because you get a whole bag of coupons and even a $20 gift card for photo products on Shutterfly.

I also highly recommend the following books:
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
The Sears Birth Book
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way

These books are full of great information for helping you prepare for a positive birth experience (regardless of whether you choose a home or hospital birth, a natural or a medicated one). There are so many things we can do to prepare physically and mentally. I definitely feel like a home birth is the easiest path to having a good experience, but everyone planning a hospital birth just needs to work twice as hard to get educated about your choices and make a plan for the doctors to follow. There are many interventions for which there is not informed consent, so you have to know what they plan to do before they do it if you what to decline (For example, a lady in Salem was shocked the other day to receive her baby into her arms and see that a monitoring device had been inserted into its scalp. No one had told her about internal fetal monitoring and she was appalled!).

I've come to see that my health and the health of my baby is my responsibility and I should never give myself unquestioningly into someone else's care. There are sooooo many options for birth that I had never even thought of before. Did you know that at the hospital (at least at mine) they wash your baby by holding it under a stream of water and scrubbing it with a brush? You can opt to not bathe your baby until you go home, leaving its protective coating on and avoiding the risk of staff infection (you KNOW how common those are these days!). That's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of choices and risks which need to be investigated so that you can make the best plan possible.

I know a lot of pregnant women, so I just thought I would share some of these resources because I want everyone to have their very best experience!

5 comments:

Johanna said...

Can I recommend one more?

"The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin has been a great resource for us. It hasn't been tested yet, but after reading it my husband feels confident enough to help me through labour.

Hope your baby comes soon! And good luck!

Demetria said...

You are so beautiful!!
We love Once Upon A Child. We also love Just Between Friends as we can load up on clothes, toys and gear 2 times a year and then pop in at Once Upon A Child for other things that come up.
We birthed in the hospital with both boys and did write out a plan both times. The nurses and docs were very supportive and did not do the interventions we had also read about happening without consent. Things seem to be shifting where the parents lead the charge in their birth experience - at least when they step up to it. I affirm your advice on research and investigating so you can make all your decisions before the big event (at home or at the hospital).
Jess, would love to hear about how your home birth goes. So exciting!

Marilee said...

Yay, Lebo! As brilliant and thoughtful as I'd expect from you. Glad to hear marriage and childbirth hasn't numbed your confidence in yourself, but enhanced it - just as it should be. SO glad you're doing a home-birth. Not having any more kids, but if we were, they would absolutely be born at home!!! Can't wait to hear your baby is happily here!

Carrie said...

sigh. soooo happy to know that I have you and won't annoy you with my preachings after the birth "don't wash her hair, the vernix is a great antibacterial for your babe," "don't put a hat on you won't smell the hormones she emits just for you!," "get naked jess-skin to skin, skin to skin!," etc. There are more-bop me if you need to. :) you are so strong, and this is gonna be a blast! xoxo.

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for sending the photos! We will be praying for your delivery and baby. My daughter-in-love just had their baby, so I think of you a lot. Many blessings and love. Please let us know the updates, and I will let the church know.

Love,
Patty

By the way, our daughter goes shopping at "Once Upon a Child" store and loves it. They have 5 kids and looks for the bargains!