Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Top 10 highlights of trip to Kenya and Ethiopia

Well, after 5 weeks in Kenya and Ethiopia I've got quite a blogging backlog. I just sent my newsletter, though, so I think most of my readers at least have the synopsis of my trip. How about a top 10 list? OK, here are the 10 best things about my trip...

10. BRACKENHURST, the conference center outside of Nairobi where I stayed for 3 weeks: Three great meals a day, having my room cleaned everyday, abundant flowers, and trails through the nearby tea fields were just a few of the perks.

9. LEISURE TIME: We had great fun in the evenings of the writers’ workshop playing various card games and watching movies. On the weekends we made interesting excursions (more on that later). In Ethiopia Heather and I had plenty of time on our hands for browsing shops, drinking coffee, a day at the poolside, long talks with our friends, a few episodes of Lost Season 4, etc. Leisure time has become a rare commodity for me in Congo between work, choir, orphans, church, etc.

8. NOT SWEATING: I can’t say one of the best things was the “cool climate” because actually I was miserably cold about half the time, but it was really great to not sweat for a few weeks. It was fun actually blow-drying my hair and wearing it down. No frizz! We are grateful to have missed a few of the worst (hottest, humidest) weeks in Brazza.

7. NEW FRIENDS: It was fun to get to know some of the other people doing language research in Africa. At these kinds of events I can’t help but make a few lasting friendships since we have so much in common and there are so many quality people involved.

6. ESPRESSO: Good coffee at cheap prices. Need I say more? There’s a Starbucks-esque place in Addis called Kaldi’s, named for the goat herder who according to legend discovered the coffee bean when he noticed his goats dancing after having eaten some. Fantastic caramel macchiatos for less than $1.

(Top 5 Coming Soon...)

7 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

I can't think of a more appropriate place to get coffee than Ethiopia. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica - I am Mark Woodward's wife...and we both follow your blog!

I noticed that you said you could watch Lost 4 from Ethiopia...and I am dying to know how (as I am quite addicted). Here in the UK we haven't found a way to view it...so if you have any tips...I'd love to know!

Nice to meet you on your blog - hope to meet you for real some day! :)

eddie said...

mmmm Kaldi's!!

anna murch said...

You are too cute. Miss you lots!

Andy Sweet said...

Hey there!

I was good to meet you briefly over Korean food in Nairobi on your recent travels.

I hope you settled back into 'normal' life again quickly.

All the best!

Andrew

Linguistica said...

Thanks Andy! Fun to meet you too. That was awesome Korean food. You should definitely become a regular client.

Why did you put "normal" in quotes? Are you suggesting that my life is not "normal"? :o)

angi said...

I like how I made it on to your blog on the section about not sweating. I guess the picture was more about your hair than me.

About normalcy...One day, in the period in which I thought I was going to have a stress related heart attack, I prayed at breakfast that we would have a normal day. That night I was on the phone with MAF asking to be on the next plane out of the country. Marlene won't let me pray for normal days anymore.