Sunday, July 24, 2005

More things taken forgranted.

Since writing my top 10 list of things I took forgranted before coming here I've thought of a whole bunch more that should be included. Consider this the "Top 10: Drink edition"

10. Consumption of caffeine purely for its effect: I've been told that Mtn Dew should be on my list, but since I don't really do the Dew, I thought of this wider category. Caffeine definitely seems much more drug-like in the US.
9. Starbucks: I wasn't even a huge fan, but you miss it when it's gone!
8. Water is water is water: Here it's like "What kind? Carbonated? Flavored? Mineral? Natural?"
7. Milk and juice are found in the refrigerated section: OK, I still can't figure out the boxed milk here that you just get off a regular shelf. Real milk needs refrigeration!
6. Christians and alcohol don't mix: OK, so I don't actually believe that, but as an American it's still rather shocking when people bring beer to the youth group BBQ.
5. Large coffee: I've hardly seen a decent sized mug since being here, let alone the option of "venti."
4. Free ice water: Want some water at a restaurant? Yeah, that'll cost ya.
3. Free-refills: Ah America, land of the free and home of the glutton. Seriously though, here I never get the impression that I've gotten my money's worth when I pay 3 bucks for one glass of Coke.
2. Chai frappuccino: How I miss thee.
1. Ice cubes: This definitely merits the #1 slot. I mean, a cold one that isn't cold is hardly a one at all*.

*Strong Bad from Homestarrunner.com quote

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I didn’t even leave a comment before... Anyway I know in Germany you also just buy the milk off the shelf, room temp. Ireland and the UK it is refrigerated, however juices are boxed on the shelf- and actually were still very good I thought (I would stick them in the tiny little fridge when I got home). Is your fridge there also very small?
The pictures are beautiful, I am so envious!
Starbucks- I missed so much while I was in Ireland, that on my trip to London I paid around $6 US for a latte… and it was worth every penny.

Anonymous said...

Ice cubes! Of course! I can hardly believe I've already started taking them for granted again!

And ohhhhhh, the caffiene! I type this from Higher Grounds :)

Anonymous said...

so mom and i sat outside a starbucks last night in the beautiful cool air of uh, er... woodburn. enjoying an enormous blended chai that had been split into two cups for us... complete with whip cream and nutmeg. mmmmm was it paradise? we really think so. our server's name was even "terry terrific". how much better can it get. wish you were here...
(by the way - this evil taunting was mom's idea.)
love you! chai will be perfect at christmastime!
cath